Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Butternut Squash, Brussel Sprout and Quinoa Salad - 21 Day Fix Friendly!

I love fall.

LOVE.

And in the fall, if I'm not eating pumpkin, I'm eating butternut squash.

Browsing Pinterest (when am I not), I found this salad by Iowa Girl Eats and thought it would be easy to make 21 Day Fix Friendly.

And it was!

I made a few substitutions, using coconut oil instead of butter and using 100% pure maple syrup instead of brown sugar - since I don't use it in my coffee as you are allowed to as a "freebie", I figured I'd use it for a recipe.  I also used chopped brussel sprouts instead of shaved for texture.

I also used organic low sodium chicken broth for the quinoa.  In researching, the consensus is on the Beachbody site this is okay to cook the quinoa in since it will end up being a pretty small amount in the portion sizes.

What I did was cook up all the parts necessary and stored them separately, that way I can throw together this portion controlled salad anytime I want!






Maple Butternut Squash, Brussel Sprouts, and Quinoa Salad
(Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats - Link Above!)

1 container of pre-cubed butternut squash
1 bag of brussel sprouts
1 cup of uncooked quinoa
3 tsp. extra virgin coconut oil
3 tsp. pure maple syrup

Preheat oven to 425.  Line baking sheet with foil.  Chop brussel sprouts to desired thickness and spread in a single layer on the baking sheet.  Sprinkle black pepper and a pinch or two of Himalyan pink salt (or sea salt).  Roast for about 15 minutes (or until the edges turn brown and crunchy).

Meanwhile, heat coconut oil in saute pan.  Chop the butternut squash into smaller pieces, and toss into the pan.  Leave over heat for about 20 minutes, or until cooked through, tossing occasionally.  Then stir in the 3 tsp. of pure maple syrup and toss.

Cook quinoa according to package directions.

(Now for the fun part!)

In a bowl, combine 1 yellow of the cooked quinoa, 1 green of the squash, 1 green of the brussel sprouts, 1/2 blue of shredded parmesan cheese, and 1/2 orange of pumpkin seeds.  Toss together and voila!

Now this can be eaten cold or warm.  I warmed it up and the cheese melted and it was amazing!

As a note, the squash made three green containers, so I divided the teaspoons of oil and maple syrup by three.

For each serving - 1 yellow, 2 green, 1/2 blue, 1/2 orange, 1 tsp. (coconut oil)

Filling and super delicious!

(PS - if you aren't doing the 21 day fix, just combine it all in one big bowl with some more cheese and pumpkin seeds - would be an amazing side dish!)

No comments:

Post a Comment