Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Spice Squares

So a few years ago, I remember that Weight Watchers trick of mixing a boxed cake mix with pumpkin being all the rage.  It cut the calories significantly.

And while I certainly did it (and ate it), I wasn't a fan of the texture.  Though I liked the idea of having the health benefits of pumpkin in the cake.

So what's a cook to do?  Improvise!


This only has a few added ingredients (and a few toppings), but the texture is so much better than just using the cake mix and the pumpkin.  I made this in my Pampered Chef brownie pan so they came out as individual squares, but I'm sure they'd work as either cupcakes or a whole 9x13 cake - just adjust the cooking time!

I served mine with some lite Cool Whip mixed with about a teaspoon of pure maple syrup and a drizzle of caramel.  Delicious!

And P.S. - these are only about 83 calories per square.  Score!

Spice Squares
(Makes about 18 squares)

1 box spice cake mix
1/2 cup liquid egg whites
1 cup water
1/2 cup pumpkin puree

Combine all ingredients and pour into sprayed baking pan.  Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes (depending on the size pan you use!)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment