Tuesday, March 24, 2015

No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bars

You may or may not be sensing a theme here.

I love chocolate and peanut butter.

Alas, stuffing my face with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups is not an option when trying to live a bit healthier.

But these?  These are not a bad option.

I had wanted to try my hand at making some of my own protein bars for a couple of reasons.  One, you can control what goes into them, and two, they are not cheap in the store. 

My afternoons are long, with tutoring and working out after school, so it's my go to mid afternoon snack of choice to give me a bit of a boost and get me through a run or a 21 Day Fix workout.

I found this recipe on Oh She Glows and decided to adapt it a bit to fit my needs.

The recipe made 12 protein bars, and, using MyFitnessPal recipe calculator, they came out to be about 180 calories per bar, which is on par with what a store bought protein bar would be.





I keep them in the refrigerator and a week later, they are still delicious!

No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bars
Adapted from Oh She Glows
(Makes 12)

1 1/2 cups of oats, blended into a flour
1 scoop of chocolate protein powder (I used my Vegan Chocolate Shakeology)
1/2 cup organic chocolate crisp rice cereal
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 tbsp. mini dark chocolate chips
1/2 tbsp. coconut oil

Blend oats into a flour.  Combine with the protein powder, salt, and cereal into a large bowl.  Add in peanut butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.  The dough will be stiff and a bit sticky!

In an 8x8 pan lined with wax paper, press the dough even into the pan, using a pastry roller to even it out.  Freeze for about 15 minutes.

Melt coconut oil and chocolate chips in a small saucepan, stir until smooth.

Take the bars out of the freezer, and even spread chocolate over the top.  Pop back into the freezer for another 15 minutes.

Take out and slice into 12 portions.  Keep either in the freezer or an airtight container in the fridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment