Saturday, January 9, 2016

Taco Baked Chicken

So, to start of the New Year with the best of intentions, I'm really trying to plan ahead and cook on the weekends, thereby having leftovers for lunches and dinners during the week.

In addition, I'm also attempting to actually use the plethora of cookbooks I have (see my recent post on the my new Cookbook of the Week series!).

First up - The Busy Woman's Cookbook!





In thumbing through my first cookbook of the week, the taco baked chicken recipe caught my eye.  4 ingredients - however one was a huge amount of butter.

So I thought about it, and came up with a simple substitution that was much healthier - Greek yogurt.  What ended up happening was that the yogurt not only really helped the "breading" stick to the chicken, but it also kept it super juicy.

The recipe also called for corn chex but the store was out so I improvised with corn flakes!

Great right out of the oven, and great for leftovers!



Taco Baked Chicken (Serves 6)
Adapted from The Busy Woman's Cookbook
1 serving - 5 Smartpoints

6 chicken breasts (I used the thin sliced ones - the total weight was about 24 oz.)
4 cups of organic corn flakes, crushed
1 packet low sodium taco seasoning
1/2 cup 2% Greek yogurt

Spray a baking sheet and preheat the oven to 350.

Crush the corn flakes (I used a mini food processor - super quick).  Pour into a pie plate and add the taco seasoning, mixing until combined.

Using a pastry brush, brush each chicken breast with the Greek yogurt on both sides.  Then dip each chicken breast into the taco / corn flake mixture until coated on both sides.

Lay back on baking sheet and cook for about 20-25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through (if using thicker chicken breasts, they will need to cook longer).  Then, broil for another 2-3 minutes to really crisp it up.

As a note, I didn't flip them halfway through - next time I may try that so the bottom gets just as crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment